At Gatwick Forklifts, we are committed to making sure our forklift service meets industry best practices. Our forklift hire company is fully insured and each of our personnel are trained in the latest health and safety regulations. Whether coming to us for professional forklift training or state-of the-art machinery from our forklift sales stock, customers in Surrey can feel rest assured of our high standards.
We also help clients meet HSE regulations, by providing forklift training courses which focus on improving efficiency and safety. On this page, we go into more detail about health and safety.
Forklift Service - Health and Safety
There are approximately 8,000 reported injuries that relate to forklift machines in the workplace every year and they make up a quarter of all workplace transport accidents. Hazards range from sprains and soft tissue injuries to fractures and fatalities. As an employer with forklift hire or forklift sales machinery in-use at the workplace, you have a responsibility to ensure forklifts are used safety. This includes providing professional forklift training and testing for all operators you employ.
Training courses are a great investment for commercial and industrial clients in Surrey, who will be recognised for their compliance with HSE regulations.
Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER)
The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER) is a legal requirement that employers in the Surrey area and throughout the UK must follow. The regulations deal with the safe operation of workplace machinery, such as forklifts, whether owned or hired. Some of the key regulations include:
• Making sure all operatives who use, manage or supervise work equipment have had the adequate training, information and instructions
• Machines, whether forklift hire or forklift sales vehicles, must be maintained in a safe working condition, by regular forklift service inspections and daily maintenance
• Health and safety measures must be put in place for operating forklifts, such as emergency stop controls and personal protective equipment (PPE)
• Ensure equipment is suitable for the purpose it is used, this is something our forklift sales team can advise on if you are unsure about the right model for your workplace
Contact us to find out more.
Forklift Training Courses
As well as providing forklift hire and forklift sales machinery, we specialise in forklift training for clients in Surrey and the surrounding South East regions. Our courses are approved by the Road Transport Industry Training Board (RTITB) and include theory-based units, practical demonstrations, training exercises and assessments. We teach how to safely operate the following forklift vehicles:
• Counterbalance forklifts, suited for manoeuvring rough terrains and transporting loads up to 25000 kg
• Reach truck and side-loaders, designed for narrow aisle warehouse spaces
• Telehandler or telescopic handler trucks, using pallet forks to manage large capacities of construction and agricultural materials
• Mobile Elevating Work Platforms (MEWP), including scissor lifts and cherry pickers
• Articulated, Bendi and Flexi trucks, with pivot steer training
Candidates in and around Surrey will also learn how to comply with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 regulations. These refer to the health, safety and welfare of all persons in the workplace, covering sections such as the general safety duties of employees at work.
For more information about forklift training or forklift hire, call 01293 831 300. We offer a professional forklift service to clients in Surrey and the wider South East area.